Areas Of Practice
Wrongful Death, Personal Injury, and Dangerous Drugs/Products
Tommy Pope is a managing partner of Elrod Pope Law Firm in Rock Hill, South Carolina bringing an extensive background of over 30 years of litigation experience.
He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management from the University of South Carolina in 1984 and a Juris Doctorate from the School of Law in 1987. He also attended the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy where he graduated with honors.
From 1993-2006, Tommy served as the elected Solicitor for the 16th Circuit (Union & York Counties, SC).
In 1999, he received the Silver Compleat Lawyer Award from the University of South Carolina Law School Alumni Association, recognizing competence, integrity, ethics, and superior performance in his profession.
In 2008, he was awarded the Order of the Palmetto, our state’s highest civilian honor for his dedication and service to the people of South Carolina.
That same year, Tommy joined Luke Elrod and the Elrod Law Firm to form the Elrod Pope Law Firm where he has since focused primarily on helping people who were injured or killed by the negligence of others.
Since 2010, Tommy has also served as a member of the South Carolina House of Representatives for District 47. In December of 2014, he was selected by his peers as Speaker Pro Tempore of the House and continues in that capacity today.
As an attorney, Tommy has been selected yearly since 2013 as a South Carolina Super Lawyer. This prestigious honor is awarded to less than five percent of South Carolina lawyers. Selection is based on outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. He was also an honoree for the South Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s Leadership in Law Award in March of 2014. He is currently rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest peer rating standard. This is given to attorneys who are ranked at the highest level of professional excellence for their legal expertise, communication skills, and ethical standards by their peers.
Throughout his career, Tommy is most often recognized for his 1995 prosecution of Susan Smith in Union County, South Carolina, who made national headlines for the drowning deaths of her two children. Today, he is frequently called upon by various national and international media outlets to provide legal commentary on cases involving parents who kill their children.
Tommy and his wife Kim have 4 children and 3 grandchildren and reside in York. They are active at Elevation Church Riverwalk in Rock Hill. When not working at Elrod Pope or in the Legislature in Columbia, Tommy enjoys his time with Kim taking care of the farm in York and fishing in Holden Beach, North Carolina.
- J.D., University of South Carolina, 1987
- Member, Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- B.S., University of South Carolina School of Business, 1984
- Honors Graduate, South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy, 1982
- Rock Hill High School, 1980
- Academic Letter, Football Letter, Boys State, Furman Scholar
Jurisdictions Admitted to Practice
- South Carolina, 1988
- Federal District Court
- United States Supreme Court
Professional Association Memberships and Awards
- South Carolina Bar Association
Member: since 1988
- House of Delegates, Board of Governors
- York Country Bar Association
- South Carolina Solicitors Association
Member: since 1993
- South Carolina Common Prosecution Coordination
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Selected to the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 South Carolina Super Lawyers list
- 2014 South Carolina Lawyers Weekly’s Leadership in Law Honoree
- SC Bar Lawyer Legislator Committee Chair: 2014-current
- Named 2014 Small Business Achiever by York County Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Graduated Leadership South Carolina, April 2016
- AV Rated – Martindale
- 2017 “Business Champions” in the S.C. House (Score of 100% on legislative report card)
- Selected by The National Trial Lawyers as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer, 2022
- Speaker Pro Tempore, SC House of Representatives
- Member, SC House of Representatives – District 47
- Member, Judiciary Committee (2013-2014)
- Commission on Prosecution Coordination (2014-current)
- Member, Ethics Committee (2013-2014)
- Member, Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs Committee (2011-12)
- Member, House Republican Caucus Ethics Reform Study Committee (2012-2014)
- Member, House Republican Caucus Tax Study Committee (Formerly)
- House Republican Floor Leader (Formerly)
- Winthrop University Board of Trustees, 2009–10
- Boys and Girls Club of York County, Chief Volunteer Officer (CVO), 2009
- York Technical College Criminal Justice Advisory Committee
- Former Member, South Carolina Board of Education Volunteer Awards Program Selection Committee
- Ambassador to City of Rock Hill’s community program: #1 Question: Is it Good for the Children?
- Member of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Rock Hill; Actively involved in Elevation Church in Rock Hill
July 22, 1994 married Kimberly Greenwood, 4 children: Logan, Jacob, Preston and Kaylen