Here’s What You Need to Know About Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim

Posted on

The workers’ compensation system is intended to be very simple, easy to use, and provide adequate compensation for employees who are injured on the job without them having to resort to lawsuits. Once you are injured on the job and have notified your employer – or your employer knows you have been injured – you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Compensation is available for any work-related injury, including repetitive motion injuries, and includes medical expenses, pay for lost time, and other appropriate disability benefits. All you have to do is notify your employer of your injury within 90 days of the injury and request that they provide workers’ compensation coverage for your treatment, and you should receive benefits.

If You Have Been Injured On the Job, Talk to A Rock Hill Workers’ Compensation Attorney

Filing your workers’ compensation claim should be as easy as notifying your employer that you were injured on the job. If your employer does not put in motion the steps to get you workers’ compensation payments or denies your claim completely, you need to talk to an attorney. The attorneys of Elrod Pope Law Firm can are ready to assist you with your situation.

Workers’ Compensation FAQs

Can I go to the doctor of my choice for treatment?

Unfortunately, no. Under South Carolina law, your employer gets to choose what doctor you go to for treatment. If you go to a different doctor, except under emergency circumstances, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance will not pay for the treatment. You can consult with a doctor of your choice, but that will be on your own dime.

What happens if my employer rejects my claim?

If your claim is denied by your employer, you should probably talk to an attorney. You can attempt to handle the matter on your own, but you’ll be at the mercy of your employer and their insurance company. You can file an appeal to the Workers’’ Compensation Commission to seek review of the denial of your claim.

Where should I file my workers’ compensation claim?

You can file your claim in the state where you were hired, the state where you actually work, or in the state where you were injured.

Elrod Pope Main Logo

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.