What Doctor Should You See After a Car Accident?

Posted on

Car accidents can cause minor, severe, or life-threatening injuries, depending on the accident’s impact. They can leave you in pain, confused, and in trauma. No matter the injury you sustained, even if you think you are fine, it is important to see a doctor who can evaluate your injuries and offer treatment. The doctor may also refer you to other specialists for further treatment based on your injuries.

Some injuries take longer for symptoms to show up. Delayed treatment can be risky for your health, and you may experience more complications in the long run. You may also have internal bleeding, broken bones, and sprains, and you can’t realize this until you seek a doctor. Seeing your doctor helps you heal faster, and you will also obtain medical receipts that you can use to claim the damages you incurred in the accident.

Where to Get Treatment After a Car Accident

You can visit several medical facilities and practices after sustaining injuries in a car accident. It all depends on the type and the severity of your injuries. However, it is important to seek timely treatment. Here are different facilities you can visit for medical care.

Emergency room doctor

If you sustained severe injuries, visit an emergency room (ER) specialist immediately, whether the accident happened during the day or at night. These specialists offer immediate care after a car accident, especially when the injuries appear life-threatening. Call 911 to address the injuries and get an ambulance if in need. By seeking emergency care help, you get treatment right away and avoid further complications that can be life-threatening.

Primary care doctor

In most cases, a primary care physician (PCP) refers patients to other doctors for specialized treatment after a car accident. When you visit the PCP, they may examine your injuries and find out how they affect the quality of your life. The physician can run various tests to check for other complications and advise you accordingly.

Medical specialist

A medical specialist focuses on specifics that may include diagnosing, managing, preventing, or treating injury symptoms and related conditions. Seeking treatment from a medical specialist is critical to your recovery. It is important to follow the instructions from your specialist, including keeping all appointments and treatment advice.

Which Doctor Should You Go to After a Car Accident?

When looking for a doctor for a car accident, there are different types of medical specialists. Knowing the right practitioner to attend to your injuries is important. Here are several doctors to see after a car accident.

  • Pain management doctors: A car accident can leave you in a lot of pain, like headache, chronic back pain, and shoulder pain. A pain management doctor can access your body and advice on the pain medications and procedures to elevate the pain.
  • Radiologists: These doctors use various tools to diagnose and treat injuries. The procedures include X-rays, computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and ultrasound.
  • Burn specialists: Many car accident victims suffer burn injuries. A burn injury specialist can analyze the extent of the injuries and advise on proper treatment. They may also offer specialized training on handling trauma and critical injuries.
  • Orthopedic surgeons: These specialists treat broken bones and muscle and tendon injuries. They also help relieve pain experienced by car accident victims by applying various surgical procedures.

Other doctors you could see after a car accident are neurologists for brain injuries, plastic surgeons for scarring and disfigurement injuries, physical therapists to regain mobility, and general surgeons. Knowing which specialists to visit after a car accident can help relieve your pain and increase your chances of healing and getting back to your feet.

Handling Delayed Symptoms after a Car Accident

While you may experience several injuries after a car accident, it is worth noting that some symptoms can delay showing up. These symptoms may include back and spine injuries, neck and head injuries, traumatic brain injuries, bone fractures, internal bleeding, muscle, tendon, ligament sprains, and strains.

It is important to seek treatment immediately and keep up with your medical appointment so that your doctor continues examining you to determine any potential symptoms. You should also seek legal help from an experienced car accident attorney to guide and advise you on the way forward.

Request a Consultation With an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer

As you seek medical treatment from your doctor, it is important to also seek legal help from an experienced car accident attorney to guide you on how to recover the damage you incurred from the accident. If the accident happened due to negligence from another party, an experienced attorney could fight for your rights.

At Elrod Pope Law Firm, we have a team of experienced car accident lawyers ready to listen to you, evaluate your case and discuss your claim options. Contact us today for a free consultation.

Car Accident FAQs

How long do you have to see a doctor after a car accident?

You should see your doctor as soon as possible after the accident, even if you walk away from a collision feeling okay.

Should you go to the hospital after a car accident?

Broken bones, open wounds, brain injuries, and other injuries with severe pain make it important to visit the emergency room after a car accident.

Elrod Pope Main Logo

Get in touch with us today to get started with your FREE case review. We’re only a call, click, or short drive away.